About This File
Wayshrines of Old is a simple plugin that adds remnants of the second era, wayshrines, as an alternate method of travel.
- An up to date, legal copy of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim + Dawnguard and Dragonborn.
- (Optional) SKSE
- (Optional) SkyUI
Checked and cleaned with TES5Edit.
Unlike the shrines constructed by the snow elves, these shrines function off of a Transitus network; which relies on flaming braziers that regular mortals can use. Whether or not it costs anything is up to you!
By default, traveling between shrines is free of charge. However, if you wanted to spice things up a little, you have the option to charge the player 500 Gold, one full Grand Soul Gem or a Dragon Soul. Additionally you have the option to enable all of them at once but they will vary from shrine to shrine. Click here to read more about this.
Before you can go on any adventures you first need to discover some shrines. Every location can be found inside of the following categories: Hold Capitals, Towns, Settlements, Orc Strongholds, and Unique Locations. In order for any locations to show up, you will need to discover the shrines in those locations. Otherwise, the only options you will see is ‘More’ or ‘Exit’.
Alternatively, you can unlock almost all locations through an optional cheat which can found in the book “Configure Wayshrines” or the Mod Configuration Menu. The exception being the shrines located in Blackreach and the Soul Cairn, which were intentionally left out to not break the quests that unlock those locations. If you want to reach them, you are going to have to discover them on foot.
Travel is now instantaneous.
Take charge of how the shrines operate in your game by configuring options through the book “Configure Wayshrines” or theMod Configuration Menu.
The book will be added to your inventory whenever you load a save for the first time. Make sure you do not lose your copy of the book as you will not be given another one the next time you load the save. In case you ever lose your copy of the book, open the console, type help ws_configuration_book, add the book to your inventory with the following code player.additem xxxIDofBook. Alternatively, you can use AddItemMenu – Ultimate Mod Explorer by Towawot to add it to your inventory.
Both more or less offer the same options so it doesn’t really matter which one you use. However, do not use both simultaneously as it will only create problems. Simply use one or the other. If you are going to switch from one to the other MAKE SURE that you reset all options to their DEFAULT options.
Old Hroaldahn Inn
Frequently Asked Questions
What are wayshrines?
How is this different from SWIFT?
Both aim to do similar but implementation is where these two differ. Click here to read more about this.
Carriages make these redundant.
This is an alternative, no different to the other alternatives that already exist i.e travelling on foot, riding a mount, hiring a boat or fast travel. They are only redundant if you make them that way.
No options show up when I click into one of the categories!
If the only options you see are “More” and “Exit” it means you have not discovered any locations inside of that category.
How do I configure settings?
A book will be added to your inventory called “Configure Wayshrines”. When you read the book, a window with the tabs More Information, Activation Costs, and Unlock All Locations will appear. Click into the relevant tabs to the options you want to configure.
Alternatively if you have SKSE and SkyUI installed, you can configure the same options through the Mod Configuration Menu.
However, do not use both simultaneously as it will only create problems. Simply use one or the other. If you are going to switch from one to the other MAKE SURE that you reset all options to their DEFAULT options.
Why are there no options to travel to Dragons Bridge or Kynesgrove?
The reason there are no shrines for either location is because they are already close to shrines for other locations. If you want to travel to Dragonbridge, you will have to travel to the shrine for Solitude. Similarly, you will need to travel to the shrine for Windhelm to reach Kynesgrove.
Why can I not unlock the option to travel to Blackreach or Soul Cairn?
I intentionally made it this way to avoid breaking the quests that unlock those locations. Unfortunately for you, It’s also not possible to unlock them with the console either. Again, if you want to reach them you are going to have to discover them on foot.
Elder Scrolls Online is not canon!
How is this lore friendly?
Not keen on my take of Wayshrines? Not a problem, check out the following alternatives that may be more to your tastes.
The only reason I bothered with this project is because I was inspired by the diverse range of wayshrines in Elder Scrolls Online. That being the case, this never had a chance at being lore friendly. If you are looking for something that fits into the world a little better, try any of the alternatives that I attached before.
Will texture overhauls affect the shrines?
Yes. However it will not affect the shrine in Karthwasten.
Can you add x location?
Please comment below with your suggestion and I’ll see what I can do.
Is this compatible with x?
Click here to read more about this.
Unfortunately followers will no longer accompany you when you travel between shrines. To get around this, I recommend using one of the following tools to summon your followers:
- Extensive Follower Framework
- Amazing Follower Tweaks
- Ultimate Follower Overhaul
- Summon Followers
- ZeniMax Online Studios for The Elder Scrolls Online which serves as the inspiration for this entire project.
- Bethesda Softworks for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition / Special Edition and the Creation Kit.
- Massive thank you to Billyro and DSoS. Seriously, if not for these two I doubt this project would have ever seen the light of day.
- Billyro for all his efforts in creating the normal and specular maps, brazier, and the snow variant of the former nordic wayshrine.
- DSoS for all of his aid in helping me create the fast travel and activation cost framework.
- Schlangster for providing the resources (SkyUI SDK) needed to create a Mod Configuration Menu.
- DarkFox127 for his tutorial on how to create a Mod Configuration Menu on Youtube.
- Hanaisse for teaching me the ropes on how to add collision to meshes with NifUtilsSuite.
- CyborgArmGun for general maintenance, asset optimization, and Bash tagging the ESP.
- MannyGT for the assets from The Gray Cowl of Nocturnal.
- Tamira for the assets from Antique Statue.
- Earrindo for the assets from Telvanni Tower Resource Pack.
- Tamu75 for the assets from Moss Shader Resource.
- Tileable Pergola Wood Texture by ftourini on deviantART
- Arthmoor, Arron Dominion, Enai Siaion, Undriel, WalkingMassOfComplexes, Winterlove, and everyone else in the community for all of their suggestions to help further improve this project.
- Meshes modified with Blender 2.78a+, NifUtilsSuite and NifSkope.
- Textures modified with Paint.NET.
What's New in Version 1.0
- Activation Costs (Dragon Souls, Soul Gems and Gold)
- Configuration (Book or MCM)
- More Locations