About This File
This is an ALPHA RELEASE. Do not install on any saves you intend on keeping as there are still elements that have not been fully implemented:
- You need to activate a shrine twice in order for the dialogue to show up. You are not charged on the second activation. The shrine is still active from the first activation and will remain that way until you choose a location / travel. If you switch over to a different cost when a shrine is already active, you will not see it take any affect until you choose a location / travel.
- Shrines are currently using placeholder statics / custom assets for the moment until I complete the assets.
- Random Encounters have not been fully implemented.
Wayshrines – Remnants of a Forgotten Era is a simple plugin that adds remnants from the second era, wayshrines, as an alternate means of traversing Tamriel. Unlike the shrines left behind the Snow Elves, these shrines can be used by regular mortals at the right cost.
This project is a reboot of “Wayshrines of Old”.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim + Dawnguard + Dragonborn
- Optional: SKSE
- Optional: SkyUI
Files have been checked and cleaned with TES5Edit!
Multiple Activation Costs and Consequences
Select one of the multiple activation costs: Magicka, Dragon Souls, Soul Gems, Gold or completely free.
You will be charged 30% of your Magicka to activate a shrine however if you have exhausted all of your Magicka it will eat into your Stamina and then eventually your Health. Chances of arriving at your chosen destination will decrease when you reach below 50% of your Stamina.
You will be charged 1 Dragon Soul to activate a shrine.
You will be charged one full lesser soul gem to activate a shrine.
You will be charged 50 Gold to activate and travel with a shrine.
You are able to travel between shrines without any sort of cost.
Before you can go on any adventures you first need to discover some shrines. Every location can be found inside of the following categories: Hold Capitals and Cities, Towns and Settlements, Orc Strongholds, and Unique Locations. In order for any locations to show up, you will need to discover the shrines in those locations. Alternatively, you can unlock almost all locations through an optional cheat which can found in the book “Configure Wayshrines” or the Mod Configuration Menu. With the exception of a few shrines, which were intentionally left out to not break the quests that unlock those locations. If you want to reach them, you are going to have to discover them on foot.
Take charge of how the shrines operate in your game by configuring options through the book “Configure Wayshrines” or the Mod Configuration Menu.The book will be added to your inventory whenever you load a save for the first time. Make sure you do not lose your copy of the book as you will not be given another one the next time you load the save. In case you ever lose your copy of the book, open the console, type help JC_ShrineConfigBook, add the book to your inventory with the following code player.additem xxxIDofBook. Alternatively, you can use AddItemMenu – Ultimate Mod Explorer by Towawot to add it to your inventory.Both more or less offer the same options so it doesn’t really matter which one you use.
However, do not use both simultaneously as it will only create problems. Simply use one or the other. If you are going to switch from one to the other MAKE SURE that you reset all options to their DEFAULT options.
Civil War Limitations
You will not be able to use the following shrines during any of the sieges: Whiterun, Solitude, Windhelm. The shrines are being maintained by the people and they would not leave a backdoor open for enemies to come in through. They will blocked off during the sieges. This has not been fully tested.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes this different to Skyrim Wayshrines – Immersive Fast Travel – SWIFT?
It’s basically the same concept but implemented differently.
How is this even lore-friendly?
Not keen on my take of Wayshrines? Not a problem! Check out the following alternatives:
Skyrim Wayshrines – Immersive Fast Travel – SWIFT by Pharros
Wayshrines of Tamriel by Arizona_Steve
Why would I use these when I can just use the carriages for a cheaper price?
This is only offers an alternate method of travel, no different to the other alternatives that already exist i.e riding a mount, hiring a boat or even using the map. Whatever you use is up you.
Unfortunately followers will not accompany you when you travel between shrines. To get around this, I recommend using one of the following tools to summon your followers:
- Extensive Follower Framework
- Amazing Follower Tweaks
- Ultimate Follower Overhaul
- Summon Followers
Hold Capitals and Cities
Towns and Settlements
- Shors Stone
- Skaal Village
- Raven Rock
- Dushnik Yal
- Mor Khazghur
- High Hrothgar (High Hrothgar's Shrine Gates are locked until you start the The Way of The Voice)
- Castle Volkihar
- Soul Cairn
- Dayspring Canyon
- Tel Mithryn
- Skyhaven Temple
- Eldergleam Sanctuary
ZeniMax Online Studios for The Elder Scrolls Online which serves as the inspiration for this entire project.
Bethesda Softworks for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and the Creation Kit.
Schlangster for providing the resources (SkyUI SDK) needed to create a Mod Configuration Menu.
DarkFox127 for his various tutorials on how to create a Mod Configuration Menu on Youtube.
Special thank you to everyone on AFKMods, Pyro's Asylum, JayCrane's Brewhouse and the following people for all of their suggestions, assistance and support.
- Arron Dominion
- Enai Siaion
What's New in Version 1.0.0
- Randomized Teleportation when Stamina is below 50% has been added to all options inside of the category "Hold Capitals and Cities"
- Fixed the error in the MCM where it says "Grand Soul Gems" instead of Lesser Soul Gems.
- Fixed the Shrines located in Riften, Windhelm and Eldergleam Sanctuary so they light on fire when you activate them.
- Cosmetic changes to the shrines in Blackreach and Markarth. There is also now a falmer skulking around the shrine in Blackreach.
- Removed Dragon Soul Activation Costs