JayCrane

All things Food (AFK Foodie Thread)

baDQ7Db.gif

Hello, fellow user who is interested in all things food. :pizza:

Being inspired by the Unofficial TESA Foodie thread decided to get the ball rolling with a thread like it over here to get together and discuss and share all things food. There are no limits (obviously, do not post anything that goes against the rules) so, introduce yourself and share with us your experiences. If you have photos, that will be an added in bonus. So have fun with it. :bigcookie:

Hello I am , of course, Donnato.  Tonight I will be sharing one of my go to soup recipes. It`s really simple. One pack of split peas and 8-10 cups of water.  Place water on the boil and while your waiting cut up some bacon, onion, garlic and carrot. Brown off the bacon and onion. When water comes to a boil add the split peas. Wait for a bit, stirring occasionally untill they begin to cook then add the bacon, onion, carrot , and if ya want, some garlic. You can do whatever you want here. I`ve made this with chorizo .. or chicken ... or hamburger .. Also I sometimes like to add serrano chilis. No celery though...messes with the flavor of the peas.

In which Don tells me to post tonight's dinner, and I comply.

This probably came out of a book, but it's how mom used to make, so:

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Assume a spherical cow 3 quart pot.  Adjust sizes as needed.

Ingredients:

- 2ish pound corned beef, make sure it comes with a spice packet.

- 6-8 potatoes, quartered.  I like gold for the flavor.

- 3ish carrots, chopped.  About half a bag of baby carrots or to taste.

- A very smallish onion.

- Half or so of a smallish cabbage.

- 2-3 bay leaves

- 1 tsp crushed black pepper

- 1 tsp garlic salt (Lowry's, accept no substitutes)

Dump beef into pot, fill to slightly more than half with water.  Add season packet, onion, bay leaves, pepper, garlic salt.  Bring to a boil at high heat, then reduce to lowish heat, cover, and simmer for 3 hours.  At about 2 hours 50 minutes, come back, chop up the potatoes and carrots, and add at around 3 hours.  Cover again.  Give it about 10 minutes, then chop up the cabbage, throw that in the pot, and up the heat slightly.  Come back in 20-25 minutes depending on how mushy you like your veggies.  Reduce heat to simmer, ladle the veggies out into a bowl and throw the meat on a plate.  Carve it up and serve.  Will comfortably feed the bachelor cook for days, or 2-4 people with more minimal leftovers.

Also enjoy your house smelling delicious for hours.

Ok well some changes to my split pea soup recipe.. I`m now using a pressure cooker which changes some things. Seasoning and spices are more concentrated so use a bit less. Also water loss is less so use less. I can just throw the chopped carrot, onion, jicima, garlic, red bell pepper, and totally frozen ham slices in and set for 25 minutes. I also crush pepper corns and add a little salt.

Hugh Jackman has the secret to applying Vegemite to your toast!

Too lazy to make my own vegemite toast so let a celebrity be your guide.

:trollcricket:

Necromancing!

I've just had a variant of this, roasted peppers with tomatoes and anchovies. Except in the version I had the anchovies were replaced with chunks of chorizo sausage, and I think we may have skipped the garlic and rosemary because it was already flavour overload. Or maybe we forgot. Anyway, it was tasty, especially with some good bread to mop up the juices.