14 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Hi. I just tested out the HGEC BCF. During conversion, it halts at the compression stage & throws the error in the screenshot below. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, as this is the first time I've tried applying a BCF.  I attached my BashBugDump.log. It looks to me like it's probably nothing to do with your BCF, rather a problem with the way it's writing or reading the name of the temp file created prior to compression. The second traceback is from when I try to "Pack to Archive". Same final error. Tried also "Package for Release" and tried both solid & non-solid compression on both. Do you think this is something I should kick over to Utumno?

Screens:

Hide contents

Conversion-Apply.png.9550d2acc664b40680ba456b62276459.png

FileName.png.e36fda6aba3f38cd1447020d54a32fa9.png

Error.png.f04daa39097091b09c9224fb2d57cb8f.png

BugDump:

Hide contents

Wrye Bash starting
Using Wrye Bash Version 307.201711041935
OS info: Windows-8-6.2.9200
Python version: 2.7.10
wxPython version: 2.8.12.1 (msw-unicode)
input encoding: UTF8; output encoding: None; locale: ('en_US', 'cp1252')
filesystem encoding: mbcs
Using scandir 1.6
bash.py  316 _main: Searching for game to manage:
bush.py   76 _supportedGames: Detected the following supported games via Windows Registry:
bush.py   78 _supportedGames:  Oblivion: c:\users\chuck\games\oblivion
bush.py   78 _supportedGames:  Skyrim Special Edition: D:\Games - D\Steam - D\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition
bush.py   78 _supportedGames:  Fallout4: D:\Games - D\Steam - D\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
bush.py  136 _detectGames: Detecting games via the -o argument, bash.ini and relative path:
bush.py  142 _detectGames: Set game mode to Oblivion found in parent directory of Mopy:  C:\Users\Chuck\Games\Oblivion
bush.py  156 __setGame:  Using Oblivion game: C:\Users\Chuck\Games\Oblivion
testing UAC
mods_metadata.py  227 __init__: Using LOOT API version: 0.10.1
bain.py 1780 apply_converter: HGEC_Body_with_BBB_BAIN-34442-1-12.7z: An error occurred while applying an Auto-BCF.Maybe the BCF was packed for another installer ?
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\bosh\bain.py", line 1761, in apply_converter
    embedded=installer.crc if installer else 0L)
  File "bash\bosh\converters.py", line 368, in apply
    SubProgress(progress, 0.7, 1.0))
  File "bash\bosh\converters.py", line 552, in pack
    archives.compress7z(command, outDir, destArchive, srcFolder, progress)
  File "bash\archives.py", line 75, in compress7z
    u'7z.exe return value: ' + str(returncode) + u'\n' + errorLine)
StateError: HGEC_Body_with_BBB_BAIN-34442-1-12.7z: Compression failed:
7z.exe return value: 2

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bash\balt.py", line 2495, in __Execute
    self.Execute()
  File "bash\balt.py", line 1605, in _conversation_wrapper
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "bash\basher\installer_links.py", line 1009, in Execute
    release=self.__class__.release)
  File "bash\basher\installer_links.py", line 106, in _pack
    release=release)
  File "bash\bosh\bain.py", line 1437, in packToArchive
    compress7z(command, outDir, outFile.tail, projectDir, progress)
  File "bash\archives.py", line 75, in compress7z
    u'7z.exe return value: ' + str(returncode) + u'\n' + errorLine)
bash.exception.StateError: bash_temp_nonunicode_name.tmp: Compression failed:
7z.exe return value: 2

Maybe. I wonder if this is affecting anyone else.  @Sladen2019 have you tried it out yet?

If it is bombing for other people I'll try to re-create the BCF.  If after that it keeps bombing out then yes we may have a bug.

6 hours ago, Beermotor said:

Maybe. I wonder if this is affecting anyone else.  @Sladen2019 have you tried it out yet?

If it is bombing for other people I'll try to re-create the BCF.  If after that it keeps bombing out then yes we may have a bug.

I just tried it and it worked fine for me with no issues.  The Wrye Bash I did it with is version 307.201710222147 Standalone. I don't bother with the Python version.

Nice to have one less reason to have OBMM or it's successors installed. :) Thank you Mertz.

9 hours ago, Sladen2019 said:

The Wrye Bash I did it with is version 307.201710222147 Standalone.

I'll try it with that version in Python, then Standalone & latest Standalone & see what it does. Thanks! :)

Edit: Python version of 307.201710222147 worked like a charm!

Edit2: 307.201711041935 Standalone worked fine.

Edit3: Ok, I'm an idiot. I had put in the current 64b 7z.dll & 7z.exe under Mopy\bash\compiled while testing an issue with compression arguments and forgot to switch back to the original 32b versions. :facepalm:

So sorry to have wasted your time!!

Back on the ole' DarN.

Twigged the ini tweaks and updated links, but somehow don't think this is going to solve any of the crashing. But like a bad Oblivion mesh, hope is abounding!

Rearranged the wizard a tad as these two fonts are vanilla:

SFontFile_1=Data\Fonts\Kingthings_Regular.fnt
SFontFile_5=Data\Fonts\Handwritten.fnt

Is the following working if selected?

Case "Colored Local Map"
    EditINI('Oblivion.ini', 'Display', 'bLocalMapShader', '0')

Can someone please post the Oblivion.ini after minimal & custom installation?
(Just to check that the ini tweaks are going in as intended).

DarkUId DarN 16 BAIN-2017test.7z

On 11/24/2017 at 6:27 AM, lmstearn said:

Back on the ole' DarN.

Twigged the ini tweaks and updated links, but somehow don't think this is going to solve any of the crashing. But like a bad Oblivion mesh, hope is abounding!

Rearranged the wizard a tad as these two fonts are vanilla:

SFontFile_1=Data\Fonts\Kingthings_Regular.fnt
SFontFile_5=Data\Fonts\Handwritten.fnt

Is the following working if selected?

Case "Colored Local Map"
    EditINI('Oblivion.ini', 'Display', 'bLocalMapShader', '0')

Can someone please post the Oblivion.ini after minimal & custom installation?
(Just to check that the ini tweaks are going in as intended).

DarkUId DarN 16 BAIN-2017test.7z

Thanks for updating this. I'll try to get a look at it today and get you some oblivion.inis. 

So I had this little half-awake idea this morning and thought I'd toss it out here for everyone to discuss a bit. 

Problem: There are hundreds if not thousands of popular Skyrim mods that have not been ported to SSE yet, either due to the MA being MIA or lack of interest on the mod author's part. 

Solution: For most of us who know how to do it, the solution is to just port the mod for ourselves. I helped a mod author (who didn't have SSE) port all of his mods over the weekend - he said three people had tried but none of them had been able to fix all of the problems like I did.  It dawned on me that it's easy for some of us, but it's difficult for others.

Beermotor's solution:  BCF Ports   -  Wrye Bash has the unique capability do ethical SSE ports since BCF files require the original mod. This is ethically the same as releasing a compatibility patch and is providing both a service for the MIA MA and the end-user.  

To make sure I have all of my bases covered:

• If MA is active, reach out to Mod Author for perms to make BCF.  In some cases we'll probably have to explain what a BCF is.
    • If MA does not respond for 30 days or hasn't been active in over 180 days = Make BCF automatically.
  • If mod is maintained by "The Care Taker" = make BCF automatically. 

As for releases, well I'm open for suggestions on that.  I'll probably just release them on the Nexus.  I'll need to make a video on how to apply BCF files if that's the case however. I'll also put a link to @alt3rn1tys pictoral Bash Guide since it is awesome. 

Thoughts?

If you were including pre-converted resources in a BCF (can it do that?, I have never made them so dont know the extent as to what can be included in a BCF), say the plugin already passed through the CK, and or meshes passed through NIF Optimizer, textures through Photoshop to BC7 or transparency layers added where necessary for example ..

.. Then the original mods Permissions would have to be scrutinized carefully. Where there are no permissions or directions, nexus has a policy of saying no to any kind of updating or copying indefinitely and protects the original mod authors in his / her absence. Although I think such mods are a rare thing these days since nexus applied a user right template to all mods across the board, and where no previous preference was given a default in favour of preserving rights was chosen to be applied.

Thats all I can think to be wary of, otherwise uploading them to Nexus shouldn't be a problem. They require the original, any included modification is just a conversion process of the original files, and so long as such things are not restricted by the original MAs wishes (click the Perms button, and read descriptions thoroughly, plus any included readme in the downloaded zip) they should be fine. If in doubt about any detail ask moderators on nexus forums to be sure.

Edit : Ooh and beware "The Care Taker", may say they have permission, but is proof publicly available of that permission given ?, or was it via an alleged PM which if untrue (or cannot be proven by a moderator at a future time, maybe one of the users decides to scrub all of their PMs at a later date or the moderator does not have admin rights to view and insists on public proof) may come back to bite you.

10 hours ago, alt3rn1ty said:

If you were including pre-converted resources in a BCF (can it do that?, I have never made them so dont know the extent as to what can be included in a BCF), say the plugin already passed through the CK, and or meshes passed through NIF Optimizer, textures through Photoshop to BC7 or transparency layers added where necessary for example ..

Yes this would just be the delta of any files that changed, meaning as you said, always the plugin and the meshes.  The scripts and the majority of the textures can normally stay. The goal is to get people to use Bash and witness its power firsthand. :)

.. Then the original mods Permissions would have to be scrutinized carefully. Where there are no permissions or directions, nexus has a policy of saying no to any kind of updating or copying indefinitely and protects the original mod authors in his / her absence. Although I think such mods are a rare thing these days since nexus applied a user right template to all mods across the board, and where no previous preference was given a default in favour of preserving rights was chosen to be applied.

Yes I absolutely want to keep it ethical.  The mods I had in mind were mostly mods that were extremely popular but the author lost interest long before SSE came out. Like you say, the saving grace is it is CRC locked to the original mod, and I'll put all kinds of scary language on the release page about redistributing and what-not.

Thats all I can think to be wary of, otherwise uploading them to Nexus shouldn't be a problem. They require the original, any included modification is just a conversion process of the original files, and so long as such things are not restricted by the original MAs wishes (click the Perms button, and read descriptions thoroughly, plus any included readme in the downloaded zip) they should be fine. If in doubt about any detail ask moderators on nexus forums to be sure.

Do you think I should do a single BCF page or do a page per mod? I think the latter would give perhaps the wrong impression but it may be clearer for end-users. Given that the only people that can use them are Wrye Bash users (muahahaaha!!!)   I think we can trust that the end-user will be a sophisticated enough to navigate a multi-mod page.

Edit : Ooh and beware "The Care Taker", may say they have permission, but is proof publicly available of that permission given ?, or was it via an alleged PM which if untrue (or cannot be proven by a moderator at a future time, maybe one of the users decides to scrub all of their PMs at a later date or the moderator does not have admin rights to view and insists on public proof) may come back to bite you.

Yep I see exactly where you're coming from. Fortunately I took a look at "The Care Taker" mod list and there aren't any mods in there I'd want to port aside from TripTheRift's old stuff, and she already ported everything to improved versions on SSE.

I guess from here I need a wish list of mods people would like to see ported.

13 hours ago, Beermotor said:

Do you think I should do a single BCF page or do a page per mod? I think the latter would give perhaps the wrong impression but it may be clearer for end-users. Given that the only people that can use them are Wrye Bash users (muahahaaha!!!)   I think we can trust that the end-user will be a sophisticated enough to navigate a multi-mod page.

Hmm, probably a single page for each would be better .. But having a single page is an additional time sink for every one added, which can put you off in future doing the rounds maintaining them.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:08 AM, Beermotor said:

Added wizard for @William Imm's Even Better Quest Objectives. I learned a lot from reading William's BAIN wizards so I wanted to say thanks.

@TechAngel85 I saw you were helping maintain the mod now. If you want to snag the wizard please feel free.  :beer:

Yep, I'll include it in the next release. Thanks!

Okay, I'm going to have to check that one out just due to the name. It's got me thinking of baaaaaahd things involving sheep or something. :P