Sign in to follow this  
Beermotor

BSA load from plugin INI files

I know it is possible to load a BSA from the Skyrim.ini although those fields are fairly packed full at this point.

I remember reading something somewhere that you could use an INI file with the same name as the plugin to add options that are normally relegated to skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini.

Is it possible to load BSA files from mod INI files?  If so, what is the syntax? Will it just append a value to what is extant in Skyrim.ini or will it overwrite the value? 

I have a sinking feeling this isn't possible anymore but I wanted to check. I have a MASSIVE mod that I need to break out into probably four BSA files to keep them all under 2GB each.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried simply naming them the same way Skyrim names its texture files? "ModName - Textures0", "ModName - Textures1" etc? The same kind of naming exists for meshes too.

To answer the question though, no, you can't use an ini fragment to load your BSAs from because you'd need to override the one in the main ini to do that.

11 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

Have you tried simply naming them the same way Skyrim names its texture files? "ModName - Textures0", "ModName - Textures1" etc? The same kind of naming exists for meshes too.

To answer the question though, no, you can't use an ini fragment to load your BSAs from because you'd need to override the one in the main ini to do that.

Thank you @Arthmoor Yes, I did a few experiments with naming conventions and even tried using "sResourceArchiveListBeta" as a bit of a last resort.  :P

What got me thinking along the INI file lines was an old post by @zilav over on the STEP forums about xEdit's BSA loading rules.  That gave me a faint glimmer of hope so I started googling to try to figure out how to do it to no success. I probably just misunderstood what he meant.

I end up learning a couple of things during this process that may be useful:

1. SSE seems to be OK with uncompressed archives well over 2GB, but I haven't gone over 3GB for a single archive or 4GB for a BSA pair.  The big BSA was all FUZ files. I don't want to push my luck too hard so I try to stay below 2GB as a general practice.

2. Dummy ESL files can save the day. Since they don't have any records in them they don't really count against the FormId ceiling.

For example:

parentmod.esp ->  parentmod.bsa & parentmod - textures.bsa

parentmod_texturepack1.esl -> parentmod_texturepack1.bsa (compressed)

parentmod_texturepack2.esl -> parentmod_texturepack2.bsa (compressed)

parentmod_voicepack1.esl -> parentmod_voicepack1.bsa (uncompressed)

For general use I've pretty much replaced every dummy ESP file I had with dummy ESL files to save plugin slots in cases where the assets being loaded weren't terribly load order sensitive. Think UI mods and hand-combined texture mods.  I've been doing this since ESL files were a thing in SSE/FO4 and it works great by all indication.